Saturday, September 12, 2015

Gameplay Animation & You! Part 3 of 3: Player

Well well well. Look who decided to show up. I didn't think you'd show your face around here again. Not after what happened last time.

What happened last time!?!


Oh! Internet! Sorry, I was talking to someone else. Just forget you heard anything. 


Ok?


I SAID FORGET IT! Because we're here to talk about the third and final element of a gameplay animator!


The Player! 



Don't hate the player, hate the game am I right?


No, you are not right. We've got to know if our animations work and actually fulfill the needs they were created to fill. We can only determine that from the end users point of view, the player. So what’s the best way we can we make that determination?

Guessing?


No.


TEST TEST TEST !

You have to see your animations working in the game in a variety of situations to see what works and what doesn’t. So you test and iterate and test and iterate and so on. Lots of 'so on'.

THE GAME IS TRUTH!

Viewports and playblasts are nice, but they are notorious liars. The game is the game and no matter how painful it can be, it always tells the truth.

Like a true friend.


    Indeed. Thanks for making it through all three posts about gameplay animation (I'm assuming you did. If not, do it now). Hopefully this stuff made sense to you Internet but if it doesn’t or you want to know something else about me or my work feel free to ask in the comments section.


    Sounds good! I’ll probably do so as one or more of the unique individuals or entities that form me.


    You’re a real weirdo Internet, but I like the cut of your jib.


    Same to you! I think that makes us best friends. Tee hee! See you next time!

    HUZZAH!




    FIN

    2 comments:

    Hey Internet! Please do your best impression of a reasonable, kind and compassionate person. Thanks for commenting!